Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Homemade Christmas Gifts



I love it when people post recipes on their blogs, and I have definitely tried one or two of them. This year since I have been home more, and had more time on my hands, I decided to make some homemade gifts for family and friends. I went a little overboard and quadrupled my favorite granola recipe that I got from my dear friend Terra. I don't think she will mind me sharing it here with you. The granola is great as a snack and also makes great cereal.

Granola

1 cup almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
8 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups what germ
1 1/2 cups oat bran

Mix all dry ingredients, set aside. (Can also add ground flax)

"Sauce"
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cup raisins or craisins (I used currants)
1 cup vegetable oil or applesauce
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

In a saucepan mix sauce ingredients to a boil, coat dry ingredients. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 min. at 320 degrees.

It's pretty easy to make, it definitely requires a trip to Henry's to pick up all the ingredients in their bins. Just a warning though, it will overtake your kitchen, and it gets a bit sticky dealing with honey and syrup. But the end result is absolutely delicious, and healthy too, so I would definitely recommend making it. Or maybe you will be one of the lucky ones to receive my gift ;)

3 comments:

Jessica LaTour said...

Those are adorable and they look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

I hope to see you guys on Christmas Eve! If I don't, have a wonderful first x-mas being a new mommy!

J'lene said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe...Makenna and I are going to try it out this week! Do you just crumble it up after it's done baking? Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!