Sunday, May 15, 2011

Backyard Barbecue

Jordan can never sit still. He always has one project or another that he's working on around the house. Sometimes it drives me crazy, a lot of women probably have the opposite complaint, so I guess I should be thankful. His latest projects have included a built in barbecue and a red wood picnic table. He started with the barbecue, we bought a normal barbecue and then he made it look built in with blocks that match our landscaping, it looks great and it was cheap. Then I wanted new patio furniture to go with the new barbecue so we can have lots of outdoor dinning this summer. However, looking around, it is expensive! So Jordan says, how about I build something? At first I said, no way, you do not have the time! But he won me over when I couldn't find anything I like for under $1000. So, he found plans online and built a table with benches, for around $450 similar to what you can buy online for over $2000! It turned out great, but I am glad he is done, because it was very time consuming. We kicked off the spring/summer with our first barbecue and had friends over last night. It was a lot of fun, and we are going to love spending lots of time in our backyard this year.
We had delicious surf n' turf and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Little Lauren got to show off her walking skills, and her and Clara got to play together. It was a fun beginning to barbecue season and we plan on having many of them this year. Now I just need to find some outdoor play toys for the kids and the backyard will be complete!

3 comments:

heidi said...

wow, gorgeous job on the picnic table, jordan! also, you can find pretty inexpensive backyard playstuff on cragslist, though we enjoy finding that kind of stuff at garage sales cuz its even cheaper and part of the fun is in the hunt :)

Unknown said...

The table is awesome! I agree with Heidi, the best yard stuff I have found has been on Craigslist and at garage sales.

Jessica LaTour said...

Such a beautiful table!!!