Sunday, October 30, 2011

This & that...

Here are some random pictures from the last couple of weeks. I am a huge fan of Instagram, it's a great way to spice up the pictures taken with your iphone and share them. It's also super handy to take quick pictures here and there when you don't have your camera.
Beach time with friends!!
Carving pumpkins, neither of our kids wanted anything to do with the goo...go figure!
Bacon & Egg toast cups, cutest breakfast ever...thanks to Pinterest & Martha Stewart!

One big event that has happened in the last 2 weeks is that we have potty trained Clara! It's funny because she was SO ready to be potty trained it was embarrassing, but I don't think I was ready for her to be potty trained. I don't like being at the mercy of her bladder, I liked being able to change her diaper when it was convenient for me, I know that seems lame, but with a baby to tend to, it was just easier. So we are both learning a new way of life, and thankfully she picked it up really quickly. I feel like you don't hear a lot about potty training, and I had no idea what to expect. We did a 3 day method, that called for constant attention to your child, teaching them to tell you when they need to go, and it was a cold turkey method (more on that later). It would have been pretty comical to watch Jordan and I get down on Clara's level, and act uber uber excited when we told her she was going to be wearing big girl panties and not diapers because she's a big girl. Or to have our voices drip with excitement when she made it to the potty. If we could only see us now!! We are still working on making it a new habit, because she will forget to tell us if she gets too preoccupied. Let me just say that I am not a fan of potty training though. Like I said, the method required a complete removal of diapers or anything resembling them. And night time hasn't always gone smoothly. She is a thirsty girl (she gets it from me) and I feel bad not allowing her to have water for hours before going to bed. Sometimes I check on her a couple times a night and ask her if she needs to go, which kinda works. But then as a result of this she hasn't been getting as good of sleep or taking as long of naps, which really affects her behavior. I'm debating using some pull ups at night if it doesn't improve. It's been frustrating at times, like when I am driving down Wild Cat and she says she has to go potty, the only option was the gas station. So holding Coleton in his carrier, and her hand, I make my way into the gas station bathroom and attempt to hold her over the toilet. Craziness, and I hate public restrooms! Well, I just had to vent and I know I am being a bit dramatic. What do you all think about potty training? Any words of advice or encouragement, because sometimes I feel like it has turned my world upside down.

3 comments:

Jessica LaTour said...

I loooove Instagram, too! Those breakfast cups look darn good! Coleton is SO cute in that pumpkin picture! And you aren't alone in feeling like potty training is a huge inconvenience! I bought a $5 travel potty at K-Mart and keep it in the car all the time so we don't have to hunt down a (usually yucky) bathroom. And keeping an extra change of underpants + clothes in the car helps, too. Everyone will tell you what to do or what worked for them but you'll find what works best for your family! It happens when it happens and it really is a big deal for the babes and us parents! ; )

Janelle said...

I used pull ups at night with Allie for the first few months. It just let me relax at night and she gradually started keeping them dry.

ashley said...

I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I know many moms who kept potties in their cars for their children to use in an emergency. You may consider that since we do live so far out here and aren't always close to a gas station or bathroom. :)