Friday, July 8, 2011

Rocking Horse Ranch

My brother-in-law Taylor volunteers at Rocking Horse Ranch in El Cajon. It is a ranch that rescues and rehabilitates neglected or abused horses. He invited us to go for the evening and go on a ride. Even though I have grown up in Ramona, which is big into equestrian activities, I have never ridden a horse! I was really excited to go, and so was Clara, she loves all animals. It was up on a hill and absolutely gorgeous. First Taylor took us around to meet some of the horses, then showed us how to get a horse ready to ride. Brushing them, cleaning the hooves, saddling up, etc. Then we led the horse down to the arena. I was definitely a little intimidated by how massive the horses were, and I think they could tell I had no idea what I was doing, because the horse pretty much led me! It took me a while to feel comfortable enough to be in control. Taylor also gave us some riding lessons, and it was surprisingly easy and fun! We took turns excersizing the horse and giving Clara rides around the arena.In exchange for the horse lessons, I packed us all a picnic dinner. We had chickpea pita sandwiches with cucumber salad, and blondies for dessert. It was delicious and perfect for a hot day.It was such a beautiful location that we tried to snap some impromptu family shots. It's really hard with a toddler and a baby to get some good pictures, but we tried!Thanks Taylor! We had a lot of fun and maybe we can do it again someday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun thing to get to do. I LOVE the family pictures, they are great!

Unknown said...

Looks like a blast! I can't believe you've never ridden before! Btw, I want your recipe for your sandwiches. Looks good!

Yerkes family said...

Very cute!

Jessica LaTour said...

You always have such beautiful pictures, Breanna! Love them.